Medical Emergencies in the UK

If you are in need of immediate medical attention there are two numbers you can call.

If you are ill or are in a critical life threatening state then you can call 999 and be put through to the emergency health care service that will send an ambulance to your location and alert the police as well.
Medical emergencies can include: loss of consciousness, an acute confused state, fits that are not stopping, persistent severe chest pain, breathing difficulties, severe bleeding that cannot be stopped, severe allergic reactions, severe burns or scalds.
If you are in need of immediate medical attention but is not life threatening then you would call 111, this is an NHS service staffed by a team of fully trained advisors who are supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. They will speak to you about your condition, assessing your symptoms, and they provide you with the healthcare advice you need or if you need to be seen will direct you to the nearest most appropriate healthcare service. This could be Accident & Emergency (A&E), an Out of hours doctor, an Urgent Care Centre (UCC) or walk in centre, a community nurse, and emergency dentist or a pharmacy/chemist. They will book an appointment with the services connected to them or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to. If they deem it an emergency that requires an ambulance they will immediately arrange for one to be sent out to you.