How to Register with a Local Doctor as a Visa Holder?

It is common practice to register your dependents and yourself at a local general practitioner (GP) near your home. The G’s are often called as surgery’s or health centres. The GP’s offer a large variety of treatments. They also provide health education, offer advice on smoking and diet, run various clinics, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical operations. You will find that the surgery will have both male and female practitioners, so of you have a preference then the option is available.

When you arrive in the UK do a research on a few GP’s which are near you and check out the individual facilities that they provide. Choose the one that you are most comfortable with and make an appointment to visit and register. You should also advise the practice staff if you are non-English speaking and let them know what your main language is. This will enable the practice

staff to arrange either a “face to face” interpreter, or set up the Language Line telephone interpretation system, for your visit. You will be required to bring along your passports and biometric cards for the first registration visit. A GMS1 form will also need to be completed. You will be able to pick it up at the GP during your registration visit.

You have the choice of changing GP practitioners when you feel the need arise. At any time should you need to visit your GP when feeling unwell, you will need to call prior to make a booking. If it is an emergency and you are not able to wait till the appointment date or time, please proceed to the nearest hospital and seek treatment at the A&E.