Tier 1 Entrepreneur- Which type of Housing are you entitled to?

As a Tier 1 Entrepreneur, you have limited options when choosing your housing options. As your visa regulations state that that you will have no recourse to public funds, it means that you will be have no access to social housing. What does this mean for you? Social housing is let at low rents on a secure basis to those who are most in need or struggling with their housing costs. Normally councils and not-for-profit organisations (such as housing associations) are the ones to provide social housing.

As a Tier 1 Entrepreneur migrant you will only have the option the rent private lettings from independent landlords or of your you can purchase a property of your choice too. There is a legal requirement for landlords to check if you have the right to live in the UK. If you are looking to rent from a private landlord, you will have to show your landlord your biometric card which was issued by the Home Office. This would also apply to any other adult that you may be living with. If you are not in possession of the documents as they are in process and with the Home Office, you can then ask the landlord to request the ‘ Right to Rent’ with the Home Office and they should be able to get a response normally within 2 days. 

This rule will also apply if you are renting privately but the landlords have engaged a lettings agency to manage their property on their behalf. If you are purchasing a property again there are many options and you need to ensure that you get a site engineer, surveyor to check the property before purchase, If you require a loan, it will be worth speaking with the local banks first before making any financial commitments.